17 Cheap (and romantic) date night ideas
Want to have a fun date night? Don’t have a lot of cash? Then I hope this list helps you enjoy your date and save some cash too!
First things first, if you have kids, babysitters are expensive. Talk to a group of friends about setting up a babysitting co-op. Where you trade out “tokens” for babysitting instead of cash.
Now that the kiddos are settled in here are a few cheap and romantic ideas:
- Walk down memory lane: Reminisce on how you first met, your dating life, wedding, and early marriage. Get those butterflies back in action!
- Stare at the stars INSIDE: Go to the Planetarium, learn about our universe and cuddle with your sweetie.
- Enjoy the weather together. Depending on the time of year ice skating, picnics, or going for a swim are all fun date nights.
- Dress Rehearsal: Got a play in your local theater you would love to see but don’t want to pay for tickets? Call around to see if you can attend the dress rehearsal. They are often a fraction of the price and sometimes FREE!
- Cuddle up with a book: The book store is our personal favorite cheap date. I grab a book about gardening or kids and he grabs a magazine or book on sports and we sit together sipping coffee and playing footsie.
- Dinner Coupons: www.Restaurant.com has specials and be sure to check your local paper or weekly circular for local coupons.
- Just dessert: You can have dinner at home, put the kids to bed, then go out for dessert and coffee. Babysitters usually don’t expect as much if the kids are sleeping the whole time. I have friends that trade out with a neighbor and do this once a week!
- Play 40 questions: Print out this Conversation starters booklet and get to know each other better.
- Take a Tour: You would be surprised at all the places that would be glad to give you a tour of their business if you just ask. Candy shops, distribution centers, factories, whatever interest you and is close to where you live.
- Flea Markets browsing: There’s something for everyone at a flea market and plenty of things you never knew existed — you might even discover he has a hobby or weird collection you didn’t know about…plus often times there is cotton candy.
- Art museum: Even if you don’t live near the Guggenheim almost every city offers art on display at a local city building or college. Just for fun dress up and talk with your best English accent as you study the art.
- Botanical Gardens: Almost every town has an amazing world of horticulture just waiting to be explored. Call in advance and they will gladly give you a tour.
- Share what you love: Spend time teaching each other about your favorite hobby or skill. Playing an instrument, gardening, crafting, photography etc. You may be surprised how much you enjoy their hobby.
- Be a tourist in your own home town. We went on charted tour (very inexpensive) of a neighboring city and learned more than we ever learned living nearby for years! Contact your local visitors bureau for events and tour information.
- Open mic/karaoke night: Check out the nearest karaoke or open mic night. Even if you don’t participate you will enjoy free talent or lack there of (which is sometimes even better).
- Local College/University events: If you live near a college log on to the school’s website and check out the schedule of events. Schools will open large events, from lectures & panels, to movie screenings and plays. Usually free to the public.
- Go back home: If you took the kids to a friends house, go back home. Light a few candles…need I say more?
What is your favorite cheap date night?